One of the most obvious ways that stress affects the skin is through breakouts. Stress can lead to increased production of a stress hormone called “cortisol”. This, in turn, can lead to an increase in oil production, which can clog pores and cause acne.
Have you ever felt like you’ve aged a lot when you’re stressed? Believe it or not, stress can also accelerate the aging process. The increased levels of cortisol caused by stress can damage collagen and elastin, leading to wrinkles and other signs of aging.
In addition to causing specific skin problems, stress can also have a generally negative impact on the health of your skin. It can make it dryer, more sensitive, and more prone to inflammation.
What can you do to minimize the effects of stress on your skin?
- Get enough sleep. When you are tired, your body produces more cortisol.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise releases endorphins, which can help to reduce stress levels.
- Eat a healthy diet. Make sure you are getting plenty of fruits and vegetables, which are high in antioxidants and other nutrients that can help to protect the skin from damage caused by stress.
- Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. Both of these substances can have negative effects on the skin.
- Use a good-quality moisturizer. Well-hydrated skin is less likely to become dry or irritated when stressed.
- Add serums to your skincare routine. If you haven’t heard yet, serums are a must-have in any skincare routine. Serums contain concentrated amounts of ingredients that target specific skin concerns; you can use only one or layer them with other serums to get the best results.
- Schedule a facial treatment with an esthetician. I don’t know about you, but getting a facial is like hitting two birds with one stone: you get to relax and at the same time reap the skincare benefits a facial treatment has to offer!
Spalina Skincare’s Restorative Algae Creme with CQ10 contains Sodium Hyaluronate which is an excellent humectant that helps keep your skin hydrated. It’s also infused with Vitamin A, C, and E which are vital in protecting and restoring skin’s elasticity.
Spalina Skincare’s Brightening Trio is a set of 3 serums (Epidermal Repair Serum, Antioxidant Line Diffusing Serum, and Complex Vitamin C Serum) that delivers effective and fast skin rejuvenation.
Reducing stress is not always easy, but following these tips can help to make it a bit easier – and your skin will definitely thank you for it!
Got other tips for reducing stress? We’d love to read about them in the comments section.